Choosing the right treadmill can be difficult especially when you don't have the room to store it. If you are either living in an apartment or suchlike a folding treadmill is the obvious answer. A standard treadmill is a fairly large piece of equipment and totally unpractical if you fit this category. BUT we have a few suggestions!
A Folding Treadmill Has Advantages over a Treadmill in the Gym.
The obvious advantage is they are excellent space savers, very convenient and cost-effective.
Most machines are easy to put away and after exercising you can easily slip them under your bed or in your closet. You can stay in shape without having this 'eye saw' staring at you every day and sacrificing part of your room!
For those living in apartments and small places, this can make all the difference in the world. If you're trying to save money on gym memberships, a treadmill can be a fantastic way to stay motivated (especially in harsh climates).
The use of foldable treadmills has increased and become more popular among exercisers.
There are basic designs, as well as advanced designs, that come with feature programs, such as heart rate monitor, incline, calorie counters etc.
There are two types of foldable treadmills: folding manual treadmills and folding motorized treadmills.
Advantages of Folding Treadmills -->
Most of these fitness machines are cheaper than non-folding treadmills; they range from a few hundred to a few thousand in price. Treadmills usually take up more space; so, if you don’t have space to put the machine, and prefer not to sacrifice the space of a room for exercise equipment, then a folding treadmill is a good option.
Almost all folding treadmills have wheels, but some machines are more portable than others. This is mainly because of weight.
Some of the highest quality folding treadmills weigh more than 200 pounds, so they're not exactly grab-and-go fitness equipment.
As mentioned earlier the best folding treadmill can be used and stored in the same room. Treadmill weights and dimensions are provided on manufacturers' websites and in some of our reviews most of which will have a link for more details.
When calculating whether a cardio machine will fit your workout area, remember to add several inches of clearance on the sides and about 8" or more at the back. Striking the perfect balance between engineering and aesthetics, there are treadmills which will attract more attention and require less maintenance. That is why it is important to be thorough when doing your research.
Just like non-folding home treadmills, modern folding treadmills are built to a wide range of durability standards.
Below is a video...... Ezvid.com with a selection of the treadmills with the best reviews.
Below are more details of some of the recommended Folding Treadmills on the video:
Rated No.1 - Sole F85
Sole Fitness describes their F85 as “The Best Folding Treadmill On the Planet.” And many reviewers will agree as it is a best seller year in, year out. It has everything a serious runner or power walker could expect for effective indoor training: a powerful motor, a spacious workout area, great cushioning and an automated incline.
Here are some reasons why Treadmill is rated so highly:
- High-quality parts: The F85 is Sole’s highest quality folding treadmill. Patterned after a Sole treadmill made for elite hotels, it’s more than capable of meeting cardio training needs in a home gym for many years.
- Motor: It has a quiet 4.0 CHP motor. The machine smoothly supports sprints of up to 12 mph and a maximum user weight of 400 pounds.
- Track: The F85 also has some of the largest track rollers in the industry, 2.75″ in diameter. It is low maintenance.
- Deck: CushionFlex Whisper Deck technology can reduce joint impact by up to 40% when compared with outdoor training surfaces.
- Incline: The track has 30 levels of incline, topping out at an impressive 15% grade to help trainees focus on different muscles in the lower body.
- Console: Workout data are displayed on an easy-to-read 10.1″ screen. Ten programs including manual mode are available to support cardio training, weight loss, and muscle toning.
- Audio: Sole treadmills are compatible with Bluetooth connected devices which makes music listening extremely convenient.
- Foldable: The F85 Treadmill can quickly be folded to save space. Folding is made easy with hydraulic assist, and unfolding is gentle with a soft-drop system. In both positions, the treadmill is securely locked for children’s safety. This treadmill can fold however it isn’t space-saving when in use. It’s 80″ long.
- Safety Lanyard: The trainee can use an automatic cord system to stop the treadmill in case they slip. The treadmill also has a stop button.
- Extras: The F85 has a wireless heart rate monitor that has been deemed 99.9% accurate. It calculates the target heart rate based on age, gender, and other variables. Touch pulse sensors are included too. Console fans help users extend their exercise time, and incline and speed controls are built into the armrests.
- Warranties: Sole warranties are among the best in the business. The sale price for the new F85 includes a lifetime warranty on the frame, motor, and deck. Customers also get a five-year warranty on electronics and parts and two years of in-home labor.
Rated at 2 - Sunny Health SF T4400
- Extremely affordable, quite different to the Sole F85 and it is well engineered.
- It has a 2.20 Peak HP drive system with 15.75 x 48.82 inches running surface; a 10mph maximum speed and a maximum degree of incline of 5.
- An easy folding mechanism and a soft drop system to help unfold the treadmill safely.
- Handrail controls which allow you to control speed, start and stop.
- Loads of Profiles; there are 9 of them, including a manual profile where you set the time, distance and pace of the treadmill.
- It is very easy to assemble. It comes with lubrication oil and the required set of tools to assemble and maintain the machine long term.
- The Manual is detailed, well explained and illustrated.
- Last but not least it is very affordable and well-engineered unit.
The Sunny Fitness & Health SF – T4400 Treadmill is one that can give you a solid workout or just an easy stroll if that is what you feel like.
If you are serious about regular exercise then this treadmill is well worth checking out.
Rated at 3 – 3G Cardio 80i
This machine is a fairly new model from a relatively new brand. This 80i Fold Flat has an incredibly unique dual folding design that allows it to fold 74” x 33” x 49” to 74” x 33” x 9.75”.
It has a durable frame, a 15% incline and speeds up to 11mph. The 3.0 HP motor can withstand weights of up to 325 pounds and the running deck area of 18.5 x 58” has an incredibly soft suspension.
Other Special Features:
- Unique Folding Design: Few treadmills feature a folding frame as this one does. It folds completely flat to just 9.75” tall. Great for storing under furniture and beds. It can also be stored vertically.
- Program Variety: This machine is equipped with 8 built-in workouts, plus three fitness test programs.
- Price: It is under $2000, convenient and easy to use and comes with an impressive lifetime coverage on the frame and motor; a residential warranty of 1 year’s labor and 5 years on parts.
- Spacesaver: The treadmill folds flat and can be easily stored under a bed or other furniture. Its basic features are simple, easy to use and users are guaranteed a good workout every time.
If you are looking for a treadmill that will fold flat to be stored under a bed or other piece of furniture, you can’t beat the folding compact design of this 80i model. Remembering though it is a good walking machine with comfortable cushioning but it is not designed for hard workouts, so it does have limitations.
Rated at 4 – Merax JK 1603 E
If you are looking for value for money the Merax JK 1603 E Folding Electric Treadmill is one of the best on the market and is at an unbelievable price.
It’s strong features give an efficient workout. It is equipped with a 1.5 HP motor which provides the user with a speed range from 0.62 to 6.2 mph. This speed range is only suitable for walking and jogging rather than the more accomplished athletes who are looking for a more high-intensity workout. The incline ranges from 1.38 degrees to 4.16 degrees.
- It has a built-in LCD where you can track your progress, such as time, speed calories burned, distance and pulse rate.
- It offers a heart rate monitoring option through dual hand grip sensors.
- It has a safety key which will turn the treadmill off in case of an accident or emergency.
- It has a great folding design and is easily folded for storage. It is lightweight and easy to move around
- The motor is low powered but the motor is fairly quiet. So great when watching a TV program while working out.
These features and its cheaper price makes it a perfect choice for those with a smaller budget and for those who are just starting a regular workout program for general health and fitness.
Rated at 5 - Weslo Cadence G59
Another machine for the budget conscious Weslo Cadence G 59 is one of the cheapest on the market and ideal for apartments, small houses or home-based gyms.
Here is a review found on the internet from a super impressed user. It says it all!
Finding this one for the price is STEAL! If you want something basic, but has some cool features, here it is. When you unpack it, don't freak out about how thin it is. I was used to the wider running room on treadmills at the gym and almost didn't even unpack out of the box when I opened it. However, after running on it, it was plenty of room. You can also transport it easily through doors while collapsed. I attached pictures to show my 12" shoes on it to show. The runs have been smooth, durable and impressive for such a large frame like mine.
Here are some highlights that I personally like:
Easy to put together. It took me 30 minutes. It may take two people to install the bottom 4 bolts.
It is collapsible! It has a basic digital read that flips through calories burned, the time elapsed, distance, and mph as you run.
It has six-run presets that are just right and adjustable as you run (pics). What I love is that you can slow down (hitting the "-" sign) and the treadmill will allow it for a "segment" (about 60 seconds), but then start back up on the original run settings for you after the segment without hitting anything. At the gym, the treadmills stay at the new "lower" setting during the whole workout, thinking that you bit off more than you can chew. This one does NOT. It goes back to the original workout thinking you just needed a rest or something. This could be annoying to some, but I like it.
It is QUIET. I had it at 8.0 mph and my dishwasher is louder.
Inclining the treadmill is as easy as lowering the back two feet.
It has a Thumb Heart Rate Monitor, which is good for those who want to know.
This Folding Treadmill is all quality, from a highly regarded supplier. LifeSpan treadmills.who are respected for their durable components, great biomechanics, and generous programming.
The steel-framed LifeSpan TR4000i Treadmill has many features including;
- An extra thick 60" track and a 3.25 HP motor.
- A reversible deck giving it twice the longevity.
- 19 pre-set workouts
- 2 heart control monitors
- It can be used in the manual code.
- It’s smartphone compatible, syncs with fitness apps have a tablet computer holder and can charge a mobile device.
- A top treadmill for its price range
Here is a selection of Folding Treadmills of different price ranges with top reviews:
Well-built yet affordable, the LifeSpan TR1200i treadmill is a highly recommended buy. This home treadmill has an incline, is loaded with workout options, saves exercise data for easy tracking online, and even provides speakers to blast your MP3s. Read on to learn why this folding treadmill has won multiple awards from professional treadmill reviewers and consumer groups.
- Ample Programming: Seventeen preset programs, two heart rate control programs and space for two user-designed programs provide excellent workout variety. People with LifeSpan Fitness Club memberships can download customized workouts too.
- Intensity Options: In addition to choosing from 15 incline levels, trainees can choose three intensity levels for the preset programs.
- Good Belt Quality: Since it’s two-ply and moves along wide rollers, this belt is more durable than that of other starter treadmills. It’s supported by shock absorbers and a cushioned deck.
- Good Belt Length: The 20-inch x 56-inch tread belt is long enough for most people’s walking and jogging strides. Some people will need a longer track for running though. Longer tracks are available on other LifeSpan treadmills in this series.
- Motorized Incline: LifeSpan equipped the TR1200i exercise ramp with more than enough power. That’s important since some brands choose weak motors that don’t endure. Fifteen incline levels are available.
- Powerful Motor: The 2.5 CHP motor with a lifetime warranty is equivalent to other brands’ 2.25 HP motors. It provides ample power for long jogs and doesn’t cause the track to stutter during speed changes.
- High Speed: This treadmill’s top speed is 11 mph. Most treadmills top out at 10 mph.
- Data Storage: The unique treadmill feature saves data about workouts (calorie burn, heart rate, etc.) to a USB. A trainee can then go online to view detailed reports about his or her exercise and get customized workout plans.
- Audio Entertainment: High-fidelity speakers, a headphone jack, and an iPod port help make time fly on the TR1200i.
- Handlebar Controls: Convenient buttons on the handlebars can adjust workout intensity and activate a heart rate monitor.
- High Capacity: The weight limit is 300 pounds.
- Compact Size: Fold this machine vertically to save room. When folded it requires only 39″ x 33″ of floor space.
- Very Good Warranty: Customers get lifetime protection on the frame and motor, three years on parts and one year of labor.
Here are a few tips about judging a folding treadmill's likelihood of lasting a long time.
1) Usually, the parts warranty is a good indicator of durability. While most folding treadmills have lifetime frame and motor warranties, the not-so-durable models have just one-year (or shorter) parts warranties.
2) The machine's user weight capacity is a clue about durability. The less durable folding treadmills tend to have maximum weight capacities of about 225 or 250 pounds. Others are akin to club-quality treadmills and can safely support up to 400 pounds.
3) The diameter of the treadmill's track rollers contributes a good deal to durability too. Some brands reduce roller size to make folding treadmills more compact, and this is not a good trade-off! The smaller the rollers, the more quickly the tread belt will show signs of wear. Roller size ranges from about 1.5" on super-cheap treadmills to 3" and larger on club-quality treadmills.
4) There are some brands which can be folded down to make it easy to put away at the back of your closet or under the bed when folded. The smaller units can still offer speeds of between 1 mile per hour to 6 miles per hour, making it ideal for walking and jogging for the most part. You can also run on it though only at a leisurely or moderate pace. It can be classed as inferior however if being used for private use this will meet the needs of many. You will notice that treadmills in a gym are a lot more solid and stable. Of course, they have to be because of extensive everyday use. They also have to be regularly serviced to maintain a top standard.
Top Reviews for Folding Treadmills
This machine combines excellent ergonomics with a nice core of built-in workout programs. Programming is actually unlimited though as you are able to access a website called LFConnect. This allows you to create workouts online and transfer them via USB to the treadmill! The website also offers a “buddy program” or support system to increase your odds of achieving fitness goals. Size: This treadmill’s track measures 55″ x 20″. This makes it great for walking but maybe not long enough for running. The entire unit has a 77″ x 34″ footprint when unfolded. It folds vertically to take up floor space. The F1 Smart Treadmill weighs about 260 pounds and has a 300-pound capacity. Building a durable and enjoyable folding treadmill isn’t easy. Life Fitness is among the few brands that get it right!
Exercise Compact Portable Running Gym Machine
- [HD DISPLAY]:7.0 LED screen display, quickly to track your time, speed, distance, calories burned and your heart rate.
- [UNIQUE DESIGN]: Digitally adjust your incline up to 15 percent,210-pound maximum user weight, 4.5HP motor driving system, add intensity to your workout and target specific muscle groups to help you achieve your fitness goals.
- [MULTI-FUNCTION FOLDINGTREADMILL]: With speeds up to 18.0km/H, supports MP3, USB, Handrail with a quick speed key and so on.
- [PORTABLE&FOLDABLE]: Folding treadmill has a perfect size and folding design great for home use, contains rolling wheels on the bottom providing simple transport.
- [WARRANTY]: US STOCK, once ordered our products will send to ur hands 3-7 days,2 years for frame & 3 Years for motor & friendly customer service.
Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Your Treadmill
Most of us when first purchasing a treadmill we have the best of intentions. We've bought the treadmill that suits the home environment and committed to getting into shape. But after a while, the novelty wears off and now it's in your home..... collecting dust!
Don't worry! Even experienced fitness enthusiasts burn-out. The convenience of having it in the home often does not always make it any easier.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to make you more likely to stick to your routine.
Firstly, set a time to use the treadmill and challenge yourself to stick to your plan. If you're a morning person, it's a great way to start your day, and if you are a night owl you can rid the frustrations of the day. Once it becomes a habit it will get easier.
Why not make it easier by listening to a favorite playlist, watching TV, or competing with friends and family in fitness challenges. Anything you can do to break up the monotony will help you stick with it.
Variation in training is so important. Mix it up — change the incline, incorporate weights, give HIIT a try. By making your workout fresh, you'll always have something new to look forward to.
Always remember: if you are disciplined in your training, the results will come — and those results will feel better than skipping a workout ever did.